St Mary's Church Haverfordwest

Bells

 

Bell Ringers at All Wales Competition

 

Ringers from St. Mary’s Haverfordwest competed in the All Wales Annual Striking Competition at Brecon Cathedral on Saturday 29th September.  A six bell team and an eight bell team from each of the four guilds in Wales were marked on the evenness of their striking in rounds and method ringing.  The adjudicators praised all of the ringers for the high standard of ringing although the St. David’s Guild ringers were fourth in both sections of the competition.

 

To reach the ringing chamber in Brecon Cathedral there is a narrow spiral staircase and a corridor that traverses three sides of the tower with windows so that you can look down into the cathedral below.  Then another little staircase takes you to a huge room where the bells are rung from.  Several routes branch off to other parts of the cathedral on the way.  The tower is so big that the ten bells hang in just one quarter of the tower. 

 

The Swansea and Brecon ringers supplied us with delicious cakes and tea all afternoon and it was sunny enough to sit outside listening to the sounds of bells whilst enjoying the beautiful pink autumn cyclamens in the churchyard. 

Competition winners were Llandaff and Monmouth (8 bell), and Welshpool (6 bell) who were presented with trophies by the Archbishop of Wales, John Davies.

If you would like to find out more about bell ringing please contact our Tower Captain & Ringing Master, Stephen McGrath on 07775 705 290 or by e-mail mcgrath.s@btinternet.com

 

ST. MARY’S HAVERFORDWEST WINS 6 BELL RINGING TROPHY  August 2018

For the first time in its history the coveted trophy for the 6 bell striking competition is on its way to St. Mary’s in Haverfordwest.

Haverfordwest has not had a local band of ringers for many years, but in recent months efforts to stimulate the ancient art and the appointment of Stephen McGrath as Tower Captain & Ringing Master have reaped the reward of enabling a band to ring in the competition last Saturday in St. Mary’s Tenby.

Bands from across the diocese were invited to take part, but only four churches with ringing towers were able to provide teams:  St. Peter’s Carmarthen;  St. Mary’s Pembroke, St. Mary’s Haverfordwest and St. Florencius in the village of St. Florence.  All teams produced a creditable performance.

Anyone interested in joining a band will find a warm welcome at their local tower. St. Mary’s Haverfordwest is particularly looking for new members to augment the band and enable the 8 bells to be rung regularly. Tuition is open to anyone, teenager & above, who is able to negotiate the steps into the tower - practice night Thursday 7.p.m.  Please contact: Stephen McGrath : mcgrath.s@btinternet.com or by mobile: 07775 705290

 

 

Steve McGrath being presented with the shield by Sue Gomm

 

 

 

On Saturday 10th February 2007 the St David's Diocesan Guild of Bellringers held their monthly practice in St Mary's with Methods Rounds and call changes Little Bob Major and Grandsire Triples.

We were pleased to have a visit from the Oxford Society of Change Ringers on Sunday 10th September. A team of eight rang a peal of 5040 Stedman Triples in 2hrs and 43mins. They were Michele Ellender and Keith Anderson (Oxford Cathedral); Clive Holloway (President and former Ringing Master of the Society); Susan Apter and Alan Flood (St Paul’s Cathedral); Robert and Adam Crocker (St Albans).  Arranged by John Pladdys (Conductor). 

Records show that a total of 21 peals have been rung on our bells, the first in 1926.

During the summer (2006) we were glad to welcome visitors from The Whiting Society of Ringers, Perthshire, St Mary's Church, Barnes, (SW London), and the Oxford Society of Change Ringers.

We were very grateful to the Ringing Master, Chris Tough, who brought a band of eight from the Diocesan Guild of Bellringers to ring for the Thanksgiving Service on 2nd April 2006. (see 'Restoration').  He was supported by Christine Moses from Llandeilo, Margaret Tough, Noel Ratty, and Brian Vince, ringing the 19cwt tenor, from Carmarthen, Philip Rogers from Pembroke, and from closer to home, Julian Lees and John Prytherch.  A quarter-peal of 1260 changes of Plain Bob Triples were rung in 50 minutes. The bells, sadly heard too infrequently now, were a delight to hear and there were many appreciative comments.  We are indebted to them for  generously giving their time and support to St Mary's.  

A full account of our bells appeared in The Ringing World on 21 June 1985 and local records contain many references.  The eight bells are in the key of E-flat with the largest bell, the tenor, having a diameter of 4ft(1.22m) and weighing just under a ton(1010kg). It is a "left-handed" frame where the ropes fall in an anti-clockwise circle instead of the more conventional clockwise arrangement.  We believe it is the only example in Wales of an anti-clockwise ring of eight bells.  Also in the ringing room is the small Sanctus or Sacring bell which was rung as "The Parson's Bell" by the priest or one of "The Blackcoats" for early services.  It was cast in 1681, 18in(450m) diameter and weighs 56lb. 

 

There have been bells in St Mary’s since at least 1589 when the Michaelmas Accounts kept by the Churchwardens included expenses for oil (8d.) and other parts.  In 1600 the Mayor paid “2d for carrying a load of timber for the frame and 5d. for hatch nails to make a wheel”. Work of patching kept them going for a while but by 1633 they had deteriorated further.  In 1634 the Mayor placed an order for Roger Purdue, the Bristol Bellfounder, for “£80 for the bell frame and timber works and £8 for metal added to the bells including the casting of four new bells”.  It is likely that the present bells hang in the same frame.  The Purdue bells were in use on 16 July 1648 when, at the height of the Civil War, Oliver Cromwell came to Haverfordwest and the civic records show “a payment of two shillings to the bellringers of St Mary’s for ringing a joy-peal on his arrival”.

The bellframe most likely dates from the early c17 but the supporting structure is older and the foundation beams and knee braces of the belfry floor may well be of the c13 or c14 work of the Tower.   

In December 1764 five of the old bells were sent to Mr Thomas Bayley of Bridgewater, Somerset, to be new cast. In the following June six bells were returned with the account for “casting of the 5 old bells into a Compleat Peal of Six - £123 6s 1p.”  It is reported that “St Mary’s Bells in Haverfordwest were rung on 7th June 1765 after they were new cast out of five into six; the old tenor had weighed one ton and 16 hundreds, the present wants 9lbs of a ton”.  It was then decided that the Town Clock Bell should be re-cast and with additional metal made into two smaller bells to complete the peal of eight.  Mr Bayley’s contract did not include renewal of the frame so when eight bells had to be hung they had to hang in an anti-clockwise arrangement and they have remained so ever since - on the five-bell frame originally supplied in 1634 by Roger Purdue. 

An Account records on 30 June 1830:-

“Paid the Ringers £2.2.0 for ringing the bells on the Proclamation  of King William the Fourth, and tolling them out of respect to the memory of His late Majesty King George the Fourth - £2. 2. 0.”

“Paid the Ringers of St Mary’s their quarter’s salary due 25 June inst. - £0.9.2.”  and on 2 August 1837:- “To paid the Ringers for tolling the bells on the death of his late Majesty William the 4th and on the day of Proclamation of Queen Victoria - £2. 2. 0.”

All eight bells have an inscription:

  • No 1 bell(treble), wt 6 cwt:”Public subscriptions gave me birth and now we eight here joyn in mirth”,  T Bayley, Founder, 1765”
  • No 2 bell, wt 7 cwt:”Mr Wm Bowen, Mr Wm Davis, Churchwardens.  T Bayley, Founder, 1765”
  • No 3 bell, wt 7 cwt:”Sanctae Mariae:  Vill:Com:Haverfordiae.  My treble voice makes hearts rejoice”, Thos Bayley, Founder, 1765.  A George lll penny is inset in the bell.
  • No 4 bell, wt 8 cwt:”Sanctae Mariae.  Vill:Com:Haverfordiae.  Health and delight good ringing yields”  Thos Bayley, Founder, 1765.
  • No 5 bell, wt 9cwt: “Sanctae Mariae.  Vill:Com:Haverfordiae.  Health, peace and plenty to this neighbourhood”, Cast by Thos Bayley, 1765.  Recast by Mears & Stainbank (later the Whitechapel Bell Foundry) 1923.
  • No 6 bell, wt 11cwt: “Sanctae Mariae.  Vill:Com:Haverfordiae. I do my best for Haverfordwest”, Thos Bayley, Founder.
  • No 7 bell, wt 14cwt: “Sanctae Mariae.  Vill:Com:Haverfordiae.  Faith, Hope and Grace attend this place”  Thos Bayley, Founder, 1765.
  • No 8 bell(Tenor)wt 19cwt: Messrs Blews & Son, Birmingham. Recast in 1872.  “Laudo Deum, Congrego Clerum, Plebem voco, Funera Plango.”  Recast by Mears & Stainbank 1923.

The last full restoration was in 1985 by Whitechapel Bellfoundry.  The work cost £10,000 and would have been very much more had not a devoted d-i-y team of ringers and churchmembers, with expert guidance, dismantled the wooden headstocks, wheels and clappers and lowered the bells onto a subframe.  They were delivered to Whitechapel in February.  In April they were collected from Whitechapel by the Tower Captain who left Haverfordwest at 3am, returning to Haverfordwest at 8pm that same day with new headstocks, wheels and stays.  With the old wooden headstocks discarded, the canons were removed so that the new headstocks rested on the bell.

Tower Captain: Jon Prytherch   j.prytherch7@gmail.com

tel: 01437 890951

*********************************************

 

THE BELL RINGER by COLIN ROGERS

This is a story about a man called Jack from Haverfordwest who was a dedicated campanologist. He started his bell ringing at an early age and went on to be the captain of the tower at St Mary’s Church in Haverfordwest.

He was a team member in the early 1930s who taught the newly appointed ringers from St David’s cathedral to ring in time the newly chimed bells, for the very first time in the new bell tower at the top of the hill.

The bells of St Mary’s were silenced in 1939, due to the war, and were not rung again until 1945. During this time Jack was looking after the bells in the church and also took the hand-bells to his home, where he decided to use the time to arrange changes (sequence of ringing), so that the bell ringers could still practice.

During the latter part of the war he would keep the bell ringers around the town at Christmas, and they would be ringing the changes of Christmas carols, collecting money for the church (pennies and half pennies).

After the war the church bells were rung on the “Declaration of Peace” and on the first Christmas day the bells of St Mary’s Church rang out, for the first time ever, Christmas carols which the bell ringers had learnt by rehearsing the changes on the hand-bells.

The campanologists were made up of men from Haverfordwest, including Jack Rogers, the Captain, his five brothers- Leslie, Harry, Cyril, Walter and Harrold-,  Bill King, Jack Sheppard, David Shearn, Dennis Crutchley and Leslie Thomas. 

In the late 1940s, after the war, the bell ringers really started to shine. They decided to enter bell ringing competitions and travelled far and wide in South and mid Wales.

It was a very exciting time. The most memorable occasion was when the team from Haverfodwest was invited to ring “The Bells of Aberdovey” and were complimented by the Aberdovey ringers on their performance as the bells of Aberdovey are rung clockwise and St Mary’s bells are anticlockwise.

There were times when Jack and his five brothers were joined by Jack’s son Colin and Leslie’s son Tony, making a family of eight to ring the bells of St Mary’s Church.

 

This story is dedicated to my Dad Jack Rogers (plumber), late of 78 Barn Street.

Written by Colin Rogers.

 

 

Photograph taken at the opening of the “Peal of Bells”, c1936 at St David’s Cathedral. The bells had been re-chimed and re-hung on the round tower at the top of the steps at the pebbles.

Back Row.  Tiny Edwards/ Walter Jones/ Vivian Martin/ Wilkin Davies/ John Davies/ Jim Arnold

Middle. Seth Griffiths/ Walter Bevan/ unknown/ Wilkin Beynon/ Walter Rogers*

Front. Bertie Jones/ Jack Rogers/Tom Rogers (Capt)/ Canon Phillips, Vicar of St Marys’ Church/ Owen Harries/ Bill Llewellyn/ Leslie Thomas 

 

Jack Rogers was Captain of the St Mary’s Bellringers 1945-1954. His brother Walter was captain from 1954-1974

********************************************************

Repairs to the bells in the 1920's

 

Return to Church


Copyright © 2005-2006 All Rights Reserved St. Mary's Church Haverfordwest Sitemap | Terms of Use | Privacy

This website has been created with the assistance of PAVS